Saturday, May 17, 2008

Maxpedition 10 x 4" Bottle Kit - A Work in Progress...

During PWYP VII, I had the opportunity to see and handle Joe (Joezilla) Flowers' Maxpedition Bottle Kit. I'd seen his pictures on Knife Forums, but I was a little skeptical. As soon as I saw it up close and personal, I knew I had to have one. Lo and behold, my khaki bottle holder arrived safely early last week. I've been assembling it into "kit form" ever since...


Here's the specs on the Bottle Holder as stated by Maxpedition:

Main compartment: 10” high x 4” diameter, padded, with drainage grommet
Frontal compartment: 6” x 3” x 1.5” with elastic retention
PALS attachment webbing: Front and sides
Attachment1: D-rings for optional shoulder strap
Attachment2: Long Malice clips (sold separately)
Attachment3: Keyper quick release hook on back
Available colors: Black, OD Green, Khaki, Foliage Green

As of this writing, I've equipped by bottle carrier with a pair of Maxpedition 4" tube sheaths, one to hold my Leatherman Skeletool and 1 extra bit holder, the other to hold one of my SureFire LED flashlights. I've also added a Maxpedition Barnacle pouch. The sheaths and pouch are secured by malice clips.

The bottle pouch will fit my Guyot Designs stainless water bottle, my Snow Peak Solo titanium cookset, a Snow Peak spork and a folding Swedish Army coffee cup. To fit all this in, the packing order is as follows:
  1. Lid for the Snow Peak pot
  2. Large Snow Peak pot
  3. Guyot bottle
  4. Small Snow Peak pot upside down over the top of the bottle
  5. Spork stuffed behind everything listed thus far, and,
  6. The folding Swedish cup sitting on top of everything else.

The frontal compartment contains a cheap $.99 Coglan's poncho, an Adventure Medical Kits HeetSheet Blanket, and a 25' hank of milspec 7 strand 550 cord as pictured above.

The Barnacle pouch contains two Witz See-It-Safe containers; one for 1st Aid Supplies, one for personal survival supplies. The Barnacle pouch also contains an AMK/Ritter signal mirror in it's front flap pocket and an ID card with 2 $20 bills in it's hidden inner sleeve pocket.

As currently stocked, I think the Max Kit will make a good dayhike and hunting companion. I'm hoping to get 'er out into the woods soon to see how she stacks up. If I'm right, I have a feeling that this kit will end up being a very expensive proposition (as is shown in Pic #1) ...

M

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Outstanding review! I am considering the 12 x 5 as a mini personal kit, and want to see how is works on a minimalist walkabout. I am concerned about the weight from one strap on one shoulder, and wonder if my love for bags isn't overshadowing this item's general usefulness -- what is being gained over a butt pack or small day pack?

I look forward to your further tests of this system.

Jim

SgtMike and Care said...

Jim,

For most hunts and hikes, I simply prefer a wide, thin strap crossed over my shoulder as opposed to weight dragging on my waist or thick straps encumbering both shoulders. I feel more nimble in the field and I don't have anything interfering with my ability to shoulder a long gun or inhibit movement with a handgun...

M

Anonymous said...

Looks like a excellent kit. I appreciate all the information. I plan on putting together something very similar.
I completely agree with the addition of a flashlight, multitool, and the survival equipment. I haven't used malice clips yet. Do they work well? I am considering lashing on molle pouches with braids of parachute cord so I can have extra in case of the innevitable emergency. How heavy is the stainless steel waterbottle? I all ready have a Nalgene lexan bottle, (very tough) and I'm debating whether or not it's worth adding the weight and spending the money for a bottle I can heat on a direct flame. I will probably forgo the titanium cookset and pack a single nesting cup till I have more disposable income. I all ready have a decent set of aluminum pots for long treks.
Thanks for the review.
Fred

Unknown said...

great grab and go system using the maxpedition 10 x 4; but i do agree with the nalgene plastic/stainless cup combo for both cost and primarilly for the weight; 4 oz. vs. 13 oz.is a big difference.

the only thing that i would add to your sys. is a carabiner to clip the pack to your belt for stabilization.( do a youtube.)

//Rickisageek said...

Im currently building a kit similar kit now. Just waiting for payday. :) thank you for post this 2 years ago and no deleting the post. I just subscribed to your thread. Be safe and good day.

Don't Panic, Stay Calm said...

Hi Mike,
I've just found your site today, but this kit amazed me well. I'm doing some similar kit therefor I was looking for some good ideas. But I have to tell you, I must searching for no longer. This is it. Thanks Mike